Sunday, September 12, 2010

La Pays Sauvage

Literally, "The Wild Country" or "The Wilderness" in French.  Being in France does make me long for the openness of the American West I love so much.  France cannot be thought of as Paris or Marseilles all over, for there is much countryside, but it is tamed, settled in so many ways.  Yet, I have seen online, with the help of French friends at work, that there are adventurous places to visit and hike.  I am trying to hook up with some of these hiking clubs in the area (les clubs de randonee) to get to know the countryside.

The American West still has places that are unspoiled, and a wild history as part of its adventurous story.  That, I think, is what I find missing here.  Everything has been settled for so long, and one is never far from a village or town.  All the roads are paved, as are most bicycle trails.  Certainly, such conveniences enables access to such areas (did you know there are volcanoes in France?), and therefore I have no excuse not to explore this country and its rural regions, but I can only picture me there, in that place, at that time.  This is good for my own memory of the visit, but it is not like walking up the Hole in the Wall Pass, either.

From what I have seen on the web, there is indeed more to France than Paris, and most Frenchmen (not Parisiens) will be quick to inform you, nay, insist to you, the same sentiment.  I think I will ride with the Frenchmen-not-Parisiens on this one...

Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment